Why has the City produced the Faulkner Civic Precinct Master Plan?
- The City of Belmont is focussed on providing high quality services and is developing a long-term strategy for the enhancement of its civic facilities.
- The Faulkner Civic Precinct Master Plan is as an opportunity for the City to consider the overall vision for a vibrant town centre for its community.
- It is intended the Civic Precinct will become the central focus for the town centre of Belmont.
- Ruth Faulkner Public Library, the Belmont Museum, the Senior Citizens Centre and the Oasis Leisure Centre all require an upgrade and increased capacity or improved facilities.
- The Faulkner Civic Precinct Master Plan has been developed to ensure coordinated development of the precinct over time.
How did the City get to this point?
- The Master Plan has been developed from community engagement over many years, extensive background data, community consultation and the recent Faulkner Civic Precinct survey.
- Respondents to the recent Faulkner Civic Precinct survey identified a need to provide spaces for both active and passive recreation, activating the space through community events, providing upgraded facilities for the community, and consideration of restaurants and cafes in the precinct.
What is included in the Faulkner Civic Precinct Master Plan?
Some of the key components of the plan include:
- The closure of Progress Way to improve pedestrian movement and facilitate the development of larger open spaces
- A large, open event space
- The development of a civic plaza
- A new multi-functional Community Centre
- Improved spaces for picnics and barbecues
- Upgrade of existing facilities
The Master Plan has been prepared so that the City can be ready and able to undertake development as and when funding becomes available.
What does the Community Centre include?
The Community Centre is a key component of the Faulkner Civic Precinct Master Plan.
The Community Centre is not a Civic Centre, the new Community Centre will provide the necessary improvements to the City’s services and also provide additional services that are important to the community.
The new Community Centre is proposed to include:
- A library
- Senior citizens centre
- Office spaces for not-for-profit organisations
The Community Centre concept design is the result of extensive consultation with the community and user groups.
The design concept has been produced so that the City can be ready to undertake development as and when funding becomes available.
The City of Belmont has applied for a National Stronger Regions Fund grant for the development of the Community Centre.
Will parking and traffic around the precinct be increased as a result of proposed changes in the Faulkner Civic Precinct Master Plan?
Independent consultants have been engaged by the City of Belmont to undertake a comprehensive traffic and parking study of the precinct and surrounding areas.